Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Thing #6

Thing #6: Mashups and 3rd Party Sites

Well, before I started this Thing today, the only definition I knew of "mashup" was for this kind of thing.

I'm glad to have my horizons broadened already! I had a lot of fun exploring the App Garden (a page showcasing the various mashups available through Flickr). I know I'll be sharing a few of the links in my classroom, including this one, Color Pickr. What a terrific way to visualize shades and hues!

I thought Bookr would be also nice for the kids to explore on their own. It develops fine motor skills, sorting skills, and technology skills all at once, as well as giving kids a way to make creative decisions.

I am very happy to find Picnik, a free online photo editing app. There's always a lot of image use in the classroom - in Mimio activities, PowerPoint presentations, and so on - and always had one or two images that would have been perfect if I'd just had a way to tinker with them a bit.

I bet I am the only nerd doing 23 Things who knows the card template from Big Huge Labs is based on Magic: The Gathering. I'm so ashamed

1 comment:

  1. Actually Nick, I am a nerd too. Last year my third graders used Big Huge Labs for a project and it was so much fun. Now I have to tell you that I don't now anything about the "Magic: The Gathering." Come down to the media center and share that one with me!

    ReplyDelete