Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Thing #2

creeepy
Thing #2: Pointers From Life Long Learners

So, I suffered sat through the audio and slide presentation.

Obviously, everyone is a lifelong learner just by being virtue of being human. I'm not sure there needs to be such fanfare over definition or identification of the concept.

The habits, on the other hand, are good pieces of advice that should be stressed. Even though everyone acquires new skills throughout life, not everyone knows how to start explicitly and voluntarily learning a new and different subject.

1. Begin with the (specific) end in mind
2. Accept responsibility for your own learning
3. View problems as challenges
4. Have confidence in yourself
5. Create your own learning "toolbox" (know and become familiar with the supplies you need)
6. Use technology to your advantage
7. Teach and mentor others
7.5. Play!

One goal I would like to work on for this project is to learn how to put together an animoto slideshow.

I think the easiest habit for me among the 7.5 is accepting responsibility for my own learning. if there's one thing my liberal arts education has given me, it's the ability to plan out how to learn new material on my own.

The hardest habit would probably be viewing problems as challenges and persevering through them. I tend to get frustrated and stop progressing if things get difficult for me - this is a bad habit of mine resulting from sailing through most academic challenges in school.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nick! Great to read your comments. You are a great writer and funny so this is going to be good. I hope to find others who are doing 23 with you so you have a community of commentors, definitely makes the process more interesting. Love your profile photo - good choice! Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.
    PERFECT title to your blog by the way!!

    DrĂ´le!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Animoto grew out this exercise on the side..not a specific Thing, but you certainly can take a stab at it...it is really pretty easy!!
    if you need help let me know...I some pointers scattered around here and there...I know members of your local learning neighborhood can give you a hand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nick, last year my fourth grade students and third grade students won first place in the Texas Librarian association media awards for elementary school. So you need to mosey on down to the media center for a few lessons!

    ReplyDelete