Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Thing #5


fossil frog
Originally uploaded by kevinzim
Thing #5: Explore Flickr

I accessed Flickr with my Yahoo account, the same one I set up to make my avatar in Thing #3.

So, I poked around a bit; read up on groups; learned the difference between Attribution license and a Non-Derivative license, etc.; and linked Flickr to this blog.

To the right is a terrific example of the kind of photo we could use in our dinosaurs unit. Instead of an impersonal picture in a book, this is a Creative Commons photo taken and uploaded by a scientist who wrote a few lines on Flickr about what it is and where he got it. It's the real-life context that makes it more accessible, I think.

Also: I received email notification that I am now an official player. Huzzah! Later on I'll check out some of the other 2010 blogs.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a GIANT ANT impression, not a fossil frog. Oh well, each to his own! By the way, I have ordered you some great pop-up dinosaur books for the fall!

    ReplyDelete