Thursday, July 1, 2010

Thing #11

Thing #11: LibraryThing

But what about Goodreads?

Ahem. So anyway I set up an account on LibraryThing, user name nleggatt. I added a smattering of loosely pertinent books that I've read because of the school.

I tried to search for relevant groups but although I found some for librarians, teachers, and pedagogical instruction, very few of them seemed to be currently active. (This one for librarians is up to date.) And while it doesn't pertain much to professional development, this group intrigues me and could be potentially handy (especially for librarians, who get asked that sort of thing all the time).

How could this be useful to me professionally? It's good for keeping online notes about work-related books I've read. Beyond that: obviously, as with most internet tools, it works best if everyone else were doing it too. If there were a school group on LibraryThing, where faculty and admin could discuss work-related books and ideas. It could be used to discuss the text of a recent literacy symposium, for example, to read similar ideas and suggestions from teachers around the country, and to see other similar books that are recommended based on that text.

3 comments:

  1. I've thought about using Library Thing with students, having them keep an online record of what they read and writing reviews. Do you think that would work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Web 2.0 tools are constantly changing and improving. I think it is a good idea to try to continually look at what is available to see if something new is better than what I am using now. There are also many variations of tools; just try looking up the apps for making to-do lists!. You can always keep using what you are most comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great suggestion, Melinda! I think that's a perfect use of this particular online tool.

    ReplyDelete